Bikram

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

18 days until Easter. 61 days until Memorial Day. 29 days until my birthday. 2 days before I’m finished at my job. 7 days until I fly to LA. 73 days until I (HOPEFULLY) graduate from Bikram's Yoga College of India as a certified Bikram Yoga Instructor and start teaching classes.
That’s it. Some like to say “That’s all there is to it,” but there’s actually a lot more to it than that. I’m leaving my job and flying to LA to study Bikram Yoga for nine weeks. My days will consist of seven hours of lectures and posture clinics in addition to three hours of Bikram Yoga class. If I can survive through June 10th, I will fly back to New York and start down the next path that I’ve stumbled upon. Please note that I use the word ‘stumble’ very loosely.
Bikram Yoga is a series of 26 poses performed in a room heated from around 100-115 degrees Fahrenheit. The heat enables your body to become more flexible and, in turn, allows you to get into unimaginable poses. Each posture stretches and strengthens your muscles, joints, and ligaments while releasing toxins and improving the functionality of internal organs.
I was first introduced to Bikram Yoga about three years ago and have been practicing on and off ever since. It’s expensive, so I was unable to do it consistently until just last year. I’ve practiced in studios all over the country, from Boston to Dallas, from LA to New York. It wasn’t until just recently that I discovered that the coolest studio ever is located only two blocks from my apartment.
I will ultimately end up back in New York but until that point, I will be living in Baltimore with my brother, sister-in-law, and the two babies (who, by the way, are the most adorable little sisters on the planet.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home